posted on January 07, 2014 05:38
TRAVEL BAN ISSUED
UPDATE: 11:55 a.m.The Genesee County Sheriif's Office has imposed a travel ban for all of Genesee County until further notice. The ban applies to all motorists with the exception of Police, Fire, EMS and highway department equipment.
Genesee County remains under a Blizzard Warning until 6am tomorrow (Wed. Jan 8) The first blizzard warning since March, 1993
All schools in Genesee County, including Batavia City Schools, are closed today. The GCC Batavia campus is closed.
Photo Right: Outside WBTA Studios on Main St.
The New York State Thruway: Closed from Williamsville (Exit 50) to the Pennsylvania State line (Exit 61).
From the National Weather Service:
• Blizzard Warning in effect until Wednesday morning for Genesee and N. Erie Counties.
• Blizzard conditions from heavy, blowing snow.
• Total storm accumulations could top 3-feet.
• Near zero to zero visibility
• Wind chills as low as 30-degrees below zero
• Wind Chill Warning in effect until 6PM Tuesday evening.
Power: National Grid is reporting no power outages
At Buffalo-Niagara International Airport:
Most early morning flights have been cancelled, although a 7am to Fort Meyers is still listed as departing on schedule.
At Rochester International:
Flights south remain scheduled but most flights east and to the mid-west have been cancelled.
The best advice is to check with your airline on the status of your specific flight.
There have been numerous cancellations of community events, business closings, etc.