Press Release from GCC regarding career sessions open to the public.
Knowing the challenges of the ever-competitive job market, officials at Genesee Community College's Career Services Center continue to host a robust series of informative workshops this semester that are all FREE and open to the public. The series features a special session with GCC President Jim Sunser presenting "Professionalism, Ethics and Leadership" on February 21, and "LinkedIn as a Job Search Strategy" is brand new topic presented on April 4 by GCC Alumnus Kevin Manne.
More than two dozen events and workshops are lined up this spring, including one workshop at each of GCC's Campus Centers and nine sessions will be offered at the Batavia Campus. GCC's Career Development Specialist, John McGowan is especially delighted to welcome representatives from five different companies who will offer their unique, inside perspective to the career search and skill development process. Representatives of HE Turner Funeral Home, Mueller Dairy Products, the University at Buffalo, IR Systems, Inc., and Advanced Write Resumes will share their viewpoint on the best practices of securing a job in the 21st century. In addition, the new "Pizza, Pop and Professionals" session will find a few distinguished GCC alumni sharing their tips and trade secrets about successful job searches on March 27.
"There are so many little nuances to being successful in today's competitive job market and we believe our lineup hits them all! From submitting applications, resumes and cover letters online to networking on LinkedIn-the spring semester is packed with great information for job seekers," McGowan said. "Students and community members should take advantage of as many workshops as their time allows, and our two Job Fairs are also a 'must-do' for anyone entering the workplace."
The Employer Skills Development and Career Workshop series at the Batavia Campus include:
• Time Management, Thursday, January 31 @ 12:45-1:45 PM / T119
• Professionalism, Ethics and Leadership, Thursday, February 21 @ 12:45-1:45 PM /T102 featuring Dr. James Sunser, GCC President
• Beyond the Resume: Career Portfolio, Thursday, March 7 @ 12:45-1:45 PM / T121 featuring Steve Johnson, Director of HE Turner Funeral Home, GCC Alumni
• Health Careers Exploration, Wednesday, March 20 @ 1:00-2:00 PM / B205
• Pizza, Pop, and Professionals, Wednesday, March 27 @ 5:00-8:00 PM / T119 featuring GCC alumni: Debra Bevans '88, Steve Hyde '82, Shannon Sauro '93, and Pete Somerville '77.
• Developing a Winning Resume, Thursday, March 28 @ 12:45-1:45 PM / T102 featuring Debra Bevans, Human Resources, Mueller Dairy Products, GCC Alumni and Alan Plath, Owner, Advanced Write Resumes, GCC Alumni
• LinkedIn as a Job Search Strategy, Thursday, April 4 @ 12:45-1:45 PM / T102 featuring Kevin Manne, Media Specialist, University at Buffalo, GCC Alumni
• Interviewing with Confidence, Wednesday, April 10 @ 1:00-2:00 PM / B205
• Interviewing from a Business Perspective, Thursday, April 18 @ 12:45-1:45 PM / T119 featuring Tim Tucker, President & CEO, IR Systems, Inc., GCC Alumni
Students and community members also have two important Job Fairs scheduled this spring to put their new skills and resumes to the test.
• Health Careers Job Fair, Thursday, March 21, 2013 @ 12:00 – 2:00 PM, Batavia Campus / Forum
More than 40 companies are expected to have tabletop displays and representatives on hand to meet prospective employees interested in careers in Fitness and Recreation Management, Nursing, Physical Therapy Assistant, Polysomnography Technology (the study of sleep disorders), Respiratory Therapy and Veterinary Technology.
• General Job Fair, Thursday, April 11, 2013 @ 12:00 – 2:00 PM, Batavia Campus / Forum
Students and community members are invited to GCC for the annual Job Fair that features dozens of different companies. Bring updated resumes and dress to impress.
Career Workshops series at the various GCC Campus Centers include:
• Arcade Campus Center, 25 Edward St., 585-492-5265
Where the Jobs are: Job Search Strategies, Monday, February 11, 2013 @ 4:00 – 5:20 PM
• Dansville Campus Center, 31 Clara Barton St., 585-335-7820
Developing a Winning Resume, Monday, March 4, 2013 @ 3:00 – 4:00 PM
• Albion Campus Center, 456 West Ave., 585-589-4936
Resume and Cover Letter Writing, Interviewing Tips, Thursday, March 28, 2013 @ 4:00 – 5:20 PM
• Medina Campus Center, 11470 Maple Ridge Rd., 585-798-1688
Resume and Cover Letter Reviews, Tuesday, April 2, 2014 @ 4:00 – 6:00 PM
• Warsaw Campus Center, 115 Linwood Ave., 585-786-3010
Interviewing and Job Search Strategies, Wednesday, April 3, 2013 @ 5:00 – 6:00 PM
• Lima Campus Center, 7285 Gale Rd. (Rt. 15A), 585-582-1226
Job Search Strategies, Monday, April 8, 2013 @ 6:00 – 7:00 PM
Interested workshop participants should RSVP by calling the GCC Career Services Office at 585-345-6888, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or registering online at www.genesee.edu/career/events.