posted on January 22, 2013 10:12
(Press Release from State Police)
The State Police in Western New York encourage motorists to exercise due care over the next few days.
The temperature will be hovering in the single digits in addition to somewhat windy conditions which will result in sub zero wind chill temperatures.
State Police will be out across the region checking all major routes of travel to ensure that motorists are as safe as possible. The State Police need your assistance to make this possible. Use your best judgment to determine if driving is prudent and also be prepared in case you either become stranded or you encounter a long traffic delay.
Keep the following tips in mind:
- Get the latest weather forecast before leaving – www.weather.gov , monitor radio or TV stations or contact your nearest State Police station
- Start with a full tank of gas and try to maintain it over half full at all times
- Fluid levels are sufficient ( windshield washer fluid, ant-freeze)
- Cell Phone in case of an emergency
If you do go out, is your vehicle prepared?
- 1) Is your trunk supplied to help you to be safe in case you are stopped or stranded in an area without assistance readily available:
- 2) Gloves, blankets, warmers, tool kit, first-aid kit, non-perishable foods, water, working flashlight and batteries, cell phone charger, etc
- 3) Shovel, ice scraper, de-icer, snow brush, rock salt or cat litter, tow chain or cable, jumper cables or battery charger, etc.
- 4) If you have an exisiting medical condition, consider having a supply of necessary medication and, if possible, let someone know you are traveling.
Be prepared. Be safe.