News Tips
Lawley Gif
The owner of the Batavia Nursing Home has been indicted on federal fraud charges.
54-year-old Marc Korn of East Amherst is accused of taking 150-thousand dollars intended for a charity. 
Another count of the indictment charges him with diverting 167-thousand dollars from nursing home leasing agreements for personal use.
At various times, employees of the Batavia Nursing Home have complained that their paychecks have bounced.
The investigation was conducted by the FBI and the IRS.
Korn faces a maximum penalty of 20-years in prison or a fine of a quarter of a million dollars, or both.

Police are investigating an alleged assault involving two members of the Warsaw High School Wrestling Team.
Police say a parent of a 14-year-old called the school to say the teenager was hurt last Friday in the team locker room.
The Buffalo News reports the student suffered a broken jaw.
Wrestling coach Rob Hirsch has been placed on administrative leave.  The team will not be allowed to participate in a scheduled tournament next week.

The consultant guiding the proposed consolidation of the City and Town of Batavia says the idea of one municipality has caught the attention of the entire state, and even the nation…
Scott Sittig, with the Center for Governmental Research, recently wrote an article on the his company’s website, calling Batavia’s consolidation process “innovation meeting opportunity.” 
Sittig is overseeing Batavia’s consolidated charter task force – he says people need to open their eyes and see the potential cost savings, especially during a difficult economy.

Buffalo Bills fans won't be able to catch this weekend's game on local television.  The Bills have announced that since Sunday's contest against the Miami Dolphins didn't sell out by the league-established deadline, it'll be blacked out on local television.  Some seven-thousand tickets remain on sale for the game.

The New York City Department of Buildings says the elevator that malfunctioned this week and caused an advertising executive's death was being repaired just hours before the tragic accident.  Buildings officials say that work has now become the focus of the investigation following the death of 41-year-old Suzanne Hart, who was killed Wednesday morning after getting onto an elevator that suddenly shot up with its doors open.  
Hart's company, Young & Rubicam, has kept its employees home as crews investigate the structural integrity of the building where the incident happened.


Actions: E-mail | Bookmark and Share
Sterling Tents
  |  Login