posted on February 10, 2010 07:38
Fire has taken a life on State Street in Batavia.
A 57-year-old woman, confined to a wheel chair and using oxygen, died last night when fire swept her first floor apartment at 132 State Street.
Batavia Police identified the woman as Mary E. Pawlukiewicz, 57.
Neighbors reported hearing what they described as an explosion around 5:45 Tuesday night.
Batavia Police Officer Christopher Camp was the first to arrive on the scene. Officer Camp and other witnesses attempted to get inside the burning apartment but were beaten back by flames and additional explosions.Batavia Fire Chief Ralph Hyde said occupants of two other apartments in the building had managed to escape and were sheltered by neighbors across the street. Mrs.Pawlukiewicz was home alone at the time of the fire.
Hyde declined to speculate that a cigarette might have caused the oxygen tank to explode.
Batavia firemen place a tarp over the window of an apartment at 132 State St. where a disabled woman perished in a fire Tuesday tonight